Prep time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves 4 people
- 2 lb. beef (sirloin, rump or tenderloin), cubed
- 2 green bell peppers, cubed into bite sized pieces
FOR BEEF SKEWER MARINADE
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 onion
- 6 bay leaves
- Juice of 4 lemons
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together and blend, or finely chop all ingredients.
- Cut beef into cubes and mix with marinade. Place in the fridge and leave to marinade for at least 1 hour, but preferably overnight.
- Take meat out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking to bring it to room temperature.
- Thread the marinated beef cubes onto skewers with a piece of green bell pepper in between every piece of meat.
- Cook beef skewers over high heat for about 2 minutes or until edges have browned. Cooking time will depend on how big beef cubes are.
- If unsure about whether meat is cooked or not, remove a piece of meat from the skewer, then cut to check.
- Let the beef skewers rest for 5-10 minutes, then serve.
Use rosemary stems as skewers for the meat. This will give the beef skewers a lovely, herby flavor once cooked.
Replace the lemon in the recipe with orange, for a sweeter, less tangy version of this dish.
Replace the beef cubes with chicken breast cubes, for a lighter version of this dish.