Prep time: Overnight
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 13.25 lbs fillet cut into medallions (1.5 inches thick)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme
- 1 fresh lemon
- olive oil
- 14 oz mushrooms of your choice, thick diced
- 100ml fresh cream
- 1.75 oz butter
- 30ml brandy
- 50ml olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a wide, shallow dish, blend olive oil, freshly crushed garlic, ground black pepper, fresh thyme leaves and the juice of half a lemon.
- Blend until the lemon and oil emulsify.
- Place the fillet medallions in this mixture and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat your grill to searing hot.
- Place the medallions on the preheated grill, season only with black pepper and coarse salt.
- Grilling guide:
For Rare: 8 - 10 minutes
For Medium Rare: 10 - 12 minutes
- Remove from heat and allow to rest for 2 minutes.
- Place a thick bottomed pan on the side burner over a medium flame.
- Melt the butter, and add 2 bruised garlic cloves and a tablespoon of fresh thyme.
- Add the diced mushrooms and cook.
- Remove the garlic cloves.
- Turn up the heat and add the brandy.
- Tilt the pan to the flame so that the brandy catches alight.
- Once the alcohol has burnt off, and the flames have gone out, add the cream.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Be careful not to overcook your mushrooms. They should be cooked but firm.
Ask your butcher for a full fillet and have him cut it, don't buy pre-packed medallions.
Goes better together with red wine.